I joke that I have a titanium, or carbon fiber reinforced cover on my bible. While this seems to be designed for bible bashing, its more my shield, when people try to shoot me for my faith.
I was also bible bashed literally by a gay friend (you know who you are), with my own bible. He was saying, "its all about love," whacking me repeatedly on the head with my own bible. One of the funniest and most memorable events in my life. He had a smile on his face when he did it, so did I.
So bible bashing can be complicated, but maybe valuable too.
Check out this great BB, the "brick testament."
The "Brick Testament" at Geekology
The Complete Brick Testament
Bible Bashing is that idea of trying to convert people, we call those who do it "bible bashers." Sometimes, it is used as a joke word for Christians generally. Unfortunately many people who are labelled bible bashers, are not that conversant with the bible.
I enjoyed watching MC Hammer the rap artist preach at a church in Sydney some years ago, primarily about his failures as a husband and his journey to Christ. One thing he pointed out, was how poorly the church understood the bible. He challenged the church (about a thousand people) about a scripture. Not one person answered. His point was made:
How can we talk about Jesus, if we don't know, or understand His words in the bible. We're not very good bible bashers.
See MC Hammer's testimony (how he became a believer in Jesus) at YouTube.
Part 1 - Part2
Also checkout Harlem's HipHop Church if you can find the link : )
And Christian Hip Hop at Wikipedia
So like Europeans in Australia who have owned the insult wog, as in the film "The Wogboy." Or believers who took ownership of the early insult, the term "Christians," as some claim. I will own the insult of "bible basher" and give it some meaning now in this 5 weekly blog.
The Wogboy at IMDB
BIBLE BASHING BASICS (A Five Week Study)
Week 2. The Many Meanings of Bible Bashing: we will look at these and others:
- Bible Bash- a meeting of people around the bible
- Bible Bash- to hit someone with a bible
- Bible Bash- to explain our need and the good news (gospel) of Jesus Christ
- Bible Basher- a Christian who goes to church
- Bible Bash- when we Bash ourselves up by not heeding the Bible
- Bible Bash- when we thump the bible because of our frustration
- Bible Bashing- evangelism, bashing up sin through Jesus' words
- What is the Bible and what is its purpose ?
- Active soul protection with the bible
- What the bible says about casting your cares upon the Lord ?
- How to read the bible
- Obeying Jesus' words in scripture for His life, love and truth
- A pointer to two way empathy- God with us -True love-shalom
- Discerning and Judging scripture and using scripture
- Cutting away the bad stuff and tenderising through bashing
- From Bible as Idol to God as Real